The Shield

The Student News Site of Richwoods High School

The Shield

The Shield

Volleyball Season Wrap Up

With every new school year, a new volleyball season approaches. The Richwoods Lady Knights delivered a win in all three teams for the first home volleyball match of the season. The student section was in a roar over the fierce battle between the Pekin Dragons and the Lady Knights. The theme, “Pajamas,’ was wildly popular and almost every kid in the stands rose to the occasion. In the beginning of the season the Knights record stood at 7-5, non-conference and 3-0 conference. The new season brought the same energy and hype it always has, along with a new coach and some new players.

Samantha Campbell, a returning varsity libero player has a lot to say about this upcoming season. The main difference between this year compared to others is a smaller roster, which caused some controversy. Campbell, however, believes that a 12 person roster ensures that every girl is able to play and it’s easier to connect with teammates compared to a larger set team where people aren’t as close. She says, “I think our team has the best relationships with one another and it’s refreshing compared to past seasons.” When it comes to any sport, how players interact with one another can really define the team’s outcome. With that being said, it’s nice to see our Lady Knights communicating and helping one another.

Upcoming volleyball player Londyn Sommerville has made her presence known on the court. The 6-foot varsity starting middle is dominating this year. Her ability to bond with other players on and off the court makes her a valuable asset for the Lady Knights. Somerville is in the top 10 high school volleyball players in the Peoria area for 2023. At Christ Lutheran she earned back-to-back LSA state all-tournament team honors. She most looks forward to the Limestone Tournament. “I enjoy any game where I get to compete against my old teammates and club teammates,” she says. Her determination and will is guaranteed to get her far on and off the court. As the season progresses, we look forward to seeing how this upcoming star navigates the remaining volleyball season while the Lady Knights bring on the Standard of Excellence.

As the regular season ends, the Knights record stands at 13-13. On October 24, the Knights prepare to play in regionals against the Morton Potters at Limestone. If they win against Morton, they advance to the championship where they will have a fierce game against the Limestone Rockets. We look forward to seeing the girls perform to their best ability and win against Morton. Make sure to come to the game to support your fellow Knights!