The Shield

The Student News Site of Richwoods High School

The Shield

The Shield

Peoria’s Non-Profits

Peoria%E2%80%99s+Non-Profits

Peoria Rescue Ministries is a gospel-centered ministry focused on serving the poor. This organization has been around and providing these services since 1955. Through their five areas of ministry, they seek to provide food, shelter, clothing, counseling, pregnancy & parenting services, and recovery programs for people in the Central Illinois area. They provide shelter and meals for women, men, and children who are in need of emergency relief. Peoria Rescue Ministries promotes a sustainable life, along with their message of renewal through Christ, offering necessities to those in need as well as hope.

What started in 1955 as two ladies handing out coffee and donuts while teaching of Jesus’s story, has now turned into the larger organization of Peoria Rescue Ministries. A center not only for those in crisis, but also helping individuals get their lives back on the right path. Peoria Rescue Ministries help those in need by giving housing and financial information and faith-based teachings. Peoria Rescue Ministries believes that poverty is a brokenness that people experience, rather than a condition of their personhood, and the relationships of life and faith will help those in need of healing. Their old neon cross with an even older message on it: “Jesus Saves,” has welcomed many hurting and impoverished people. As men and women have accepted that invitation, they’ve seen incredible growth in long-term, life-changing programs.

Recently, the city of Peoria made the decision to change the name of Peoria Rescue Ministries to Pathway Ministries. According to Peoria Rescue, “In 2024, Peoria Rescue Ministries will become Pathway Ministries.” They believe that this change will better communicate the work God is doing in the lives of others as well as more clearly reflect their mission of creating pathways out of poverty through Jesus. As they rename their organization to better describe their impact, they continue to strengthen their resources and their mission.

The City of Peoria is offering a chance for local non-profits that serve low-income community members to receive federal funding. Non-profits can request between $50,000 and $75,000. They will be able to use the money for structural improvements, the installation of major mechanical systems, the purchase of vans to transport clients and other major structural needs. Some other non-profit organizations in Peoria, IL include American Red Cross, Best Buddies Illinois, and Dream Center Peoria. This opportunity provided by the city will hopefully further aid Pathway Ministries and their recipients.

Peoria Rescue Ministries

https://business.peoriachamber.org/list/member/pathway-ministries-624

https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/news/local-news/local-ministry-gets-a-new-name/

https://www.25newsnow.com/2024/01/25/new-name-expanded-messaging-former-peoria-rescue-ministries/