The Shield

The Student News Site of Richwoods High School

The Shield

The Shield

Stalking Jack the Ripper Book Review

Step foot into the 1880s in the old streets of London. A time which was flourishing with millions of gas street lamps. A time in which the city of London became known for the brightness of its streets, shopfronts, and the interiors at night. Moreover, the poor worked in factories, mines, or even workhouses, getting paid not nearly enough; whereas the wealthy could afford fancy clothes, and fancier dinner parties. Queen Victoria was in control and the Victorian Era was in full flourish. Although the city of London appeared to be full of life during the day, during the night the city became a place filled with crime. The district of Whitechapel fell into a cycle where poverty and crime were prevalent.
An unidentified serial killer became active in and around the impoverished district of Whitechapel in 1888. This killer was given a few notable nicknames, including Whitechapel Murderer, the Leather Apron, and the most famous nickname “Jack the Ripper”. Many of the attacks attributed to the Ripper typically included women working as prostitutes. These women lived and worked in the slums of the East End of the city of London. Their throats were often cut prior to being mutilated. The mutilation included the removal of internal organs from at least three of the five victims. This led to speculation that the killer had prior anatomical or surgical knowledge. To this day the identity of the Ripper is unknown although many speculate possible identities.

“Roses have both petals and thorns, my dark flower. You needn’t believe something weak because it appears delicate. Show the world your bravery.”

“Someone screamed; perhaps it was me. Though it would have made me happier if it were Thomas Blasted Cresswell.”

Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord’s daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life. Against her stern father’s wishes and society’s expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle’s laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her back to her own sheltered world. Audrey enlists the help of Thomas Cresswell, another apprentice working under her uncle. Together they must solve the murders and stop the Ripper before it’s too late.

Genre: Historical Fiction, Mystery, (Romance Subplot)

“Wield your assets like a blade, Cousin. No man has invented a corset for our brains. Let them think they rule the world. It’s a queen who sits on that throne. Never forget that.”

My Review: 5/5: The first time I read this book was when I was in eighth grade. At this point I’ve reread it over 15 times. This book not only influenced my reading, but also was my introduction towards my future career interest in Forensic science. This book not only has huge plot twists, but also interesting characters. I recommend this book to anyone interested in Forensics or just mystery in general. This book holds a very special place in my heart. I don’t want to go into too many details in order to prevent spoiling the story, but all I have to say is that it’s SO GOOD!!

“There’s nothing better than a little danger dashed with some romance.”

Why You Might Want to Read This Book:
This story takes place during 1880s England during the time of the Jack the Ripper murders.
The Main character refuses to give up.
There are MAJOR plot-twists.
There are 3 other books in this series if you decide you want more of the characters and the story.
The story has a great atmosphere, with a skillfully-paced plot
The ending may be seen as predictable to some or even a little unrealistic, but it keeps the readers entertained in the process.
Prominent theme of fighting society’s expectations.

“Death was not prejudiced by mortal things such as station or gender. It came for kings and queens and prostitutes alike, often leaving the living with regrets.”

Traveling through this fictional world may help you make your own conclusions on what truly happened to the five known victims of the Ripper. Although there are eleven victims that seem to be related to the murders in Whitechapel, only five are linked and attributed to the Ripper. The five victims including Mary Ann Nichols, Annie Chapman, Elizabeth Stride, Catherine Eddowes, and Mary Jane Kelly, were each murdered between August 31st and November 9th of 1888. To this day the murders were never solved, and the stories surrounding these crimes continue to become a combination of historical research and folklore. The mystery continues to capture the minds of the present day.

“The dead speak to those who listen. Be quieter than even them.”

Here is an extra special spotify playlist I made inspired by the book:

“Monsters were supposed to be scary and ugly. They weren’t supposed to hide behind friendly smiles and well-trimmed hair. Goodness, twisted as it might be, was not meant to be locked away in an icy heart and anxious exterior.”