The Shield

The Student News Site of Richwoods High School

The Shield

The Shield

What The River Knows book review

World-wide mysteries always lead people to become intrigued and mystified by places, things, or even people. Whether it be about rulers of ancient civilizations or sought after treasure from times unlike our own. Solving these mysteries is difficult but rewarding. Archeologists spend years searching for artifacts and fossils that can change the ways in which we think about certain events in the AD and BC times. Finding these artifacts can lead to giant historical discoveries. One of the greatest mysteries in human history is the location of the tomb of Cleopatra
Cleopatra was the last known Pharaoh of Egypt, often viewed as a femme fatale. She ruled between 51 and 30 BC and was of Greek descent. Cleopatra’s tomb is viewed as an archaeological treasure to some who seek it out. Many believe that if her tomb is anywhere then it is most likely in ancient Alexandria which is completely submerged underwater, specifically in the Mediterranean Sea. If the tomb is indeed submerged in water, then it is unlikely that it will ever be discovered. What if there was another location for Cleopatra’s tomb and it was accessible from land?

Synopsis: Inez Olivera belongs to the glittering upper society of nineteenth century Buenos Aires, and like the rest of the world, the town is steeped in old world magic that’s been largely left behind or forgotten. Inez has everything a girl might want, except for the one thing she yearns the most: her globetrotting parents–who frequently leave her behind.
When she receives word of their tragic deaths, Inez inherits their massive fortune and a mysterious guardian, an archeologist in partnership with his Egyptian brother-in-law. Yearning for answers, Inez sails to Cairo, bringing her sketch pads and an ancient golden ring her father sent to her for safekeeping before he died. But upon her arrival, the old world magic tethered to the ring pulls her down a path where she soon discovers there’s more to her parent’s disappearance than what her guardian led her to believe.
With her guardian’s infuriatingly handsome assistant thwarting her at every turn, Inez must rely on ancient magic to uncover the truth about her parent’s disappearance–or risk becoming a pawn in a larger game that will kill her.

Genre: Mystery, Historical Fiction, Adventure (semi-minor Romance Subplot)

Important Characters:
-Inez Olivera (Main character)
-Tio Ricardo (Inez’s uncle)
-Elvira (Inez’s cousin)
-Whitford/Witt (Tio Ricardo’s assistant)

My review: 5/5: Honestly when I first read this book I wasn’t sure what to expect and wasn’t sure how much I would enjoy reading it. After reading this book all I have to say is WOW, the amount of plot twists and unexpected characters made me shocked and amazed. Inez is a great main character and I find her actions and choices very intriguing. Overall I really enjoyed reading this book and definitely plan on reading the next one!

Author Reviews:
“Luminous and enchanting…gleams with dangerous secrets.”
-REBECCA ROSS, New York Times bestselling author of Divine Rivals

“Take a plucky heroine, a historically grounded Indiana Jones-esque adventure through Ancient Egypt, and add a surprising dollop of magic–IT’S A RECIPE FOR A DELIGHTFUL READ.”

-Jodi Picoult, #1 bestselling author
“PHENOMENAL… a page-turning mystery, adventure, intrigue and betrayal, laugh-out-loud banter, and slow-burn romance with characters that jump off the page.”
-Mary E. Pearson, New York Times bestselling author of The Remnant Chronicles

About the Author: Isabel Ibañez is the author of Together We Burn (Wednesday Books), and Woven in Moonlight (Page Street), a finalist for the William C. Morris Award, and listed among Time Magazine’s 100 Best Fantasy Books Of All Time. She is the proud daughter of Bolivian immigrants and has a profound appreciation for history and traveling. She currently lives in Asheville, North Carolina, with her husband, their adorable dog, and a serious collection of books.

Why you might want to read this book:
-Brave main character
-unexpected plot twists
-characters that will lead you wondering whether you should trust them
-2nd book coming in November!
-Set in the 1880s & takes place in Egypt
-reminds me of the movie Uncharted

Will Inez find the reason behind her parent’s disappearance? After venturing from Argentina to Egypt Inez will learn what it truly means to be family. Loyalties will be tested and trust will be broken. she will have to learn who to trust and who is motivated by their own intentions to deceive her. Are you ready to find out what truly happened? Are you ready to find out the mystery behind Cleopatra’s tomb?

My Favorite Quotes-
“Everyone deserved a living wage. No human ought to be treated as if their work didn’t matter, or their choices, or their dreams.”
“That was the smile I didn’t trust–I just knew it came with consequences”
“Grief was like a memory keeper. It showed me moments I’d forgotten, and I was grateful, even as my stomach hollowed out. I never wanted to forget them, no matter how painful it was to remember.”