The Shield

The Student News Site of Richwoods High School

The Shield

The Shield

Take a Step Back in Time: Students Examine the History of Richwoods

Richwoods offers numerous clubs, all for different interests. Historical Society, sponsored by Mr. Bowlby in room 250, focuses on restoring the few pieces of Richwoods’ history we have left. It takes place every Wednesday from 1:30-2:30 and is entirely student-led.

Historical Society started two years ago as an assignment given to two students by Mr. Bowlby. During this assignment, they discovered old newspapers from the 1950s-1960s that mentioned Richwoods High School and documented its evolution over the years. Fascinated, they were dedicated to learning more about our history; so, they founded a club known as the Historical Society.

Today, the Historical Society is run by a senior, Javen Hugan. When asked why he took on this position, he said, “I’m a nerd who likes history, and when I got the opportunity to have access to a hundred historical documents, I couldn’t say no.” Currently, the Historical Society is working towards digitizing all the newspapers that were found a few years earlier and had initially inspired the club. This project will not take all year, but their work certainly will not stop there. Interest in Peoria’s history has been shown from members as well, so they may branch out into the city to learn more about our area.

As a student-led club, any member can contribute by sharing their ideas for projects or field trips during meetings. With it still being the beginning of the year, their next steps have not been determined yet. But, with time, the Historical Society will achieve many things and will allow students to appreciate the history of Richwoods and Peoria together.

Luckily, the Historical Society takes new members year-round, so if you or anyone you know is interested, you can join at any time! It is a very low commitment club, making it perfect for people who want to explore their interests without any additional stress. It truly is a fantastic opportunity for anyone, even those with a schedule packed with sports, clubs, or other activities. If you are interested, the Historical Society would love to have you; all are welcome!