Richwoods Knights Girls Swimming

The Richwoods Knights girls’ swimming team is diving right into the new school year. Starting off strong, freshman Kara Hoffmann is being nominated for Journal Star’s “athlete of the week.” Coach Hammerton describes Kara as a “fantastic player and talent.” The varsity player started her first high school season by winning one individual event and helping with a trio of second places in Saturday’s Big 12 Conference Road meet with Normal Community.

“I feel amazing! I find it amazing that as a freshman I was able to accomplish that,” Hoffman explained. “Even if I don’t win the nomination, it feels better than I could’ve expected. I’m glad that I allowed Richwoods swimming to be in the spotlight for a moment!” Hoffmann went on to explain that she has gone to ten championship swim meets, is ranked 30 out of all girls in Illinois ages 13-15 years old, has traveled to many states to compete, and was a championship top ten finisher in 2021. One thing for sure is, you want to check out this upcoming star!

This freshman isn’t the only one shining on the team. Kara’s older sister, Grace Hoffman, is also an excellent swimmer. The four-year varsity player is not only a captain but has been on the sectional team as well. Her expectations for this season are player participation and to have a fun season.

Sectional qualifier and three-year swimmer, Olivia Jackson had a lot to say about this upcoming season. When asked how they plan on growing and getting better as a team this year compared to previous seasons, what she finds most important is “a good connection and having fun!” Jackson added that being chosen as a captain has “motivated me greatly to be a good example for those on the team!”

Out of the many teams that they are competing against, Coach Hammerton expressed great excitement about going against the Peoria Notre Dame swimming team. Just last year the Lady Knights took down PND for the first time in ten years, finishing the meet with a final score of 103-82. The team did it again this year beating PND 111-74! Coach Hammerton said that she is good friends with the team and coaches and looks forward to competing against them again. She’s also looking forward to the success this team will bring and getting to know the depth of her swimmers. The Richwoods swim team has already done some really great things and will do many more as the season continues.